Tuesday, February 12, 2013

In Plain Sight




Wrath:
[Long digits travel over the raised dots on the next in a snow hill of contracts and requests submitted for my review. Braille. Hard to believe I was finally convinced and damn if V’s female hadn’t helped me, Jodi had the patience of a goddamned saint when it came to teaching me to read with my fingers. There was only so much I could do to deny my impairment. Trying not to think too much about that was something that still needed some work, but there was no other choice. Especially if I was to successfully rule over our race with the same grace my father had. Sweet Virgin in the Fade, how he managed not to go completely insane I could not fathom. Thankfully, I had a wonderful mate that helped me get my shit straight. Lifting my head to look in her direction, Beth smiled gently and walked over to kiss me sweetly. All too soon, she excused herself and stepped away to retrieve another stack of documents Saxton had been preparing for me. Paperwork was starting to gather by the metric shit ton and I wasn’t making much headway. Now, if the looming headache would only stay away, I could get some work done tonight. Exhaling in frustration, I turned my attention back to the task at hand.]

V:
-As predicted, there was no rest to be had after I finished my research and knew my way around the murder cases that plagued downtown Caldwell to the tee. Last night, after I had polished the bottle off, I had chased my female out of the living room when the need for her grew too much to ignore, with barely a glance to the cop he knew something was doing and that I would fill him in later. Times like these, I was actually happy we didn't kill the cop when he first stumbled upon our world, we knew each other well enough to hold unspoken conversations without missing a beat. The minute my female and I had disappeared into our mated room, I had her pinned to the door and ravaged her in every possible way. Watching as time and again she screamed her throat raw, until she was blinded from pleasure and exhausted from a night filled with passion. Hours later I contemplated what to say to her when she woke up because I knew that my sudden assault, though hardly rare, would raise questions in those deep chocolate eyes I loved so much. There was really nothing I could hide from her, but my attention to her body had been enough of a distraction that exhaustion won over her curiosity. There was no rest for the wicked, I wouldn’t sleep until I knew what the fuck was up. Instead, there I stood guarding my family as only I could do. Come morning, I'd had enough.  Donning my leathers and wifebeater, I was once again in my office, picking at every last bit of the information the police had until the stats, names, faces, details, were firmly engraved in my grey matter. Then, the waiting game started. There's only so much a brother can take when it came to others disturbing down time. Especially now that the shellans were a factor. At a reasonable hour, I packed my shit and hauled ass to the mansion. The King had to know what was doing and by the Fade he would listen to what I had to say. Shitkickers squealing when I came to a stop at the lobby and wasting no more time, dematting to the hallway outside Wrath's study, I rap gloved knuckles sharply against the door before pushing it open to peer inside- My Lord?

Wrath:
[...Glymera... new order... attention. Words streaming in my head as I read page after page of whatever new problems had risen that those pompous asses thought needed my immediate attention. Sweet Fade. The pounding in my head grew as I got dangerously close to setting fire to my desk in order to escape the mounting pile of bullshit. Snapping when I heard someone at the door and the scent told me it wasn’t my Beth.] What? [The vein in the middle of my forehead was ready to pop. @JodisVishous voice drifted through. The brother had some timing. Taking a deep calming breath] This better be important, Vishous, I have a shit ton to do so [willing the door open to motion him in] on with it

V:
-unfazed by Wrath's pissed off growl, I walked in once he opened the door for me- My lord, you know that my interruptions have never been without good reason -even I could hear the tension in my voice, I guess the time with my female had changed my routine and with this much stress on my shoulders I was right on the edge. The King could fucking save it, we had another front coming in to merge with the shit storm we were already weathering- we have a problem and this one made The Courier -walking to the desk, I passed on the information I had, papers ruffling in my hand as I swung them around and placed them on Wrath's blotter.- Usually I wouldn't mess with Caldie's finest, but fuck if this doesn't get my attention, true -Reciting the names and dates off the top of my head for the known victims.- Sounds like any other murder around the slums -fanning out the documents until I had the pictures on display, even if he couldn't quite get all the details it was a show and tell kind of argument- except it's not -tapping on the different snapshots of the different crime scenes- females and males have been attacked in a way that screams a rogue, my Lord -seeing the tug of war in his expression, between what he had in front of him and what he couldn't afford to have on his plate right now.  His face distorted as his fingers flew over the pages. Dropping my voice to just above a whisper- I’ve got a bad feeling, Wrath. Whoever is behind this wants attention and he’s stopping just short of taking out a damned billboard.

Wrath:
[It was bad enough that I had the Glymera so far up my ass I could barely breathe, now it seemed a rogue had moved into my backyard without any of us noticing? Cursing under my breath when Vishous was done speaking. I've always put good money of V's sixth sense, even if it was dooming at the best of times. And they were enough to make Nostradamus’s apocalyptic visions look like hack meteorology. The headache that had been pushing its way in had exploded to life, throbbing between my ears and useless eyes. Slipping my fingers under my wraparounds, I massage them in a feeble attempt at pushing the ache away] Shit [Throwing the stack of articles down, I sat back in my chair.  The tension around the male was a thick fog that tickled at my reaching senses. V was rattled. V was never rattled. But then again, who wouldn't be when the females splashed all over the crime scene photos were dead ringers for his shellan. Emphasis on the ‘dead’. The thought of anyone doing something so low as to going for the females... I shook my head. Lowlifes.]Brother, trust me, I understand your frustration, but how can we be certain this isn't just a bad fucking coincidence? [fingers drumming on the desk] We've got so much shit on our plates we can't afford to take a freebie if it's out of our jurisdiction 

V:
-Gritting my teeth as my temper flared in outrage at Wrath's words. What more could I show him to make him see. This was just too fucking close to home to ignore. We had barely gotten over my little vacation in the Bastards’ Hotel Hell, which the brother's made known when they had me followed everywhere. Thanks to them, the term babysitting had and entirely different definition. Not that I blame them but, I could do without another reminder of my past. It was meant to be buried and forgotten, but this new case... it was blatantly clear that I still had unfinished business. Slamming my fists on Wrath's desk, earning me a growled response.- You've got to be fucking kidding me -leaning on the desk as I level my gaze with the King’s- how many ways do I have to spell it out before you realize this IS our business -my voice filled with hatred and anger fueled by years of ignoring a past that now seemed determined to haunt me- what part of castrated males doesn’t sound familiar? -pushing myself back- Do I need to drop trou to give you a refresher? -my words dripping with venom at the freshness of the memories-

Wrath:
[Narrowing my eyes in V's direction, lips peeled back over my extended fangs] You better watch your fucking mouth, Vishous [slamming my fist on the desk, sending papers everywhere as I stood] Don't you fucking think that after your little disappearing act we need to be more careful? [anger rolling off me in thick intoxicating waves] We can't afford another loss, it nearly broke us all down [clenching my jaw, it was taking a lot out of me to not jump over the desk and give the male more than a piece of my mind. The lack of physical activity was doing a number on my temper, Beth was right, I needed to find a way to drain this energy. Other than taking it out on her, of course.] There is no denying the facts and what they are telling us [slipping my fingers under my wraparounds to pinch the bridge of my nose] but we can't jump out there, guns blazing without something more to go on [the gentle massage was pitifully little balm to the massive headache I had] We can’t spend manpower hunting your ghosts, for fuck’s sake.

V:
-cursing in every language I knew as Wrath's words banged against my skull. He was right, I knew he was but, my first instinct had been to throw myself at it tonight. It would not be the smartest thing to do but going solo, but damn was it tempting. This whole situation reeked of the camp and there was absolutely no appeal in bringing the brothers in for something that had been mine for almost 300 years. Fucking hell. Shit. Pacing back and forth in front of the King's desk. Different approach. Different rationale. It was time to shove aside my emotions and everything else. Taking out a blunt from the stash I had in my leather jacket, I paused just in front of Wrath and lit it up- Time to tone it down then -letting the spices of my Turkish blend call my nerves enough for a plan to form in my head. Scratching my goatee I turned to face the King. The smartest thing to do was to get the brothers involved, as much as it pained me to have them sniffing around my past, we needed the united front. After the Xcor’s band of misfits had so moved into our turf, nothing could come as a shock now. Meeting Wrath's gaze, squaring my shoulders as my resolve solidifies- Call a meeting, we need to fill everyone in. -pausing as I take a drag from my cig- we have new objectives in our patrols -blowing out a cloud of smoke as I turn my eyes to the ceiling, a thought that would surely gnaw me later on occurred to me. I would pay dearly for this but... it was necessary- and for security reasons, we should enforce a lockdown –namely my female and young... but that went unsaid, the reasons need not to be explained. The pictures of the victims were enough to cover that front. The motion would pass, I was sure my brothers would see why.-

Wrath:
[Nodding in agreement, this was the cold and calculating V the Brotherhood knew, he would stay tight. That was what we needed, everyone with their heads on straight, flushing out this asshole before more humans or civilians were lost. Settling into my chair, I leaned back against the plush leather ] I'll call Tohr and set everyone to meet tonight after Z and Rhage get back, in the meantime you deal with the cop and doggen to arrange new security measures. [flipping my phone open to speed dial Tohr to make the necessary arrangements for the debriefing.]

V: 
-Nothing had gone as planned tonight, but perhaps Wrath had managed to kick some sense into me. I needed to jump back into the skin of the warrior I've always been, strategy and mind games were my thing. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, well fuck that. Bowing as I took my cue for my leave- My lord -Stopping by the door, I look over my shoulder at the King- And Wrath? -watching as the male looked up to meet my gaze- this isn’t your regular play, someone out there knows and knows too damn much for their own good, true -the male nodded stiffly, good, he knew just how seriously I would be taking on this new fight. He went back to his phone call. Closing the door behind me, I took a nice long drag to find my new zen as I walked back to the Pit. What was to come would not be pleasant, my female would be looking for answers I didn't have and that was not going to sit well. We all know just how much @VsDarkDreamer loved being told what to do, especially without a damn good reason. But how could I explain to my pregnant female that someone was coming after her? After me? And let's not forget I have no fucking idea who was behind this. One thing was clear, I was the glue that was holding all this together and I'll be damned if they catch me off my guard. ’Alright, asshole. Let’s dance.' I thought as I pushed past the security in the tunnels towards the Pit. With the Brotherhood on my six, it was on me to give them a target. After all, there's a reason why I once was the most sought after mercenary in the Old Country. I braced and took a heavy breath before pushing open the door of our mated room. A mercenary, who at this moment was shit scared of telling my shellan ’no’.-

No comments:

Post a Comment