Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Gone



[The pansy chair creaked under my weight the moment I leaned back against it. Tohr and I were going over the intel the brothers had collected from the last few nights out on patrol around Caldwell. The Brotherhood’s job description had a new addition to its curriculum, aside from fighting Lessening Society we had to double our efforts as a result of the non-grata emergence of the Bloodletter’s Bastards. Now, even more so since making themselves known by approaching Vishous’s shellan, Jodi. Rubbing my eyes underneath my wraparounds, it was no wonder that between the bullshit politics, lessers, and the newfound Brotherhood enemies my headaches have been worse which added to my oh-so-fucking-bright-shiny- mood. Along with my second in command, we had covered enough ground on the map that the fact that the hiding place of the Bastards remained a mystery still had created a palpable tension in the room that was getting us fucking nowhere. The brother next to me reeked of a tangy scent that spoke clear of his frustration and anger every time we came up empty handed. Following another stretch of silence, Tohr said “Rotation has been flawless, nothing has been overlooked. We have even gone through the remnants of lessers left behind by the Bastards.” The word fell from his lips on a snarl, it was good to see the brother bouncing back to his passionate self, focusing on his target. “The brothers on rotation will cover more ground today.” His fist lightly connected with the oversized desk. “Xcor would keep them outside the city. Not too far out or their fighting grounds wouldn’t be right in our backyard.” Then I felt his steely gaze fall upon me. “We will find them, My Lord”.  By habit, my hand fell on George’s silky fur, the animal cowering into my side at the jostling nose coming from the brother. Leveling sightless eyes to where his face should be, I answer, my voice steady with command.] I don’t doubt the abilities of the Brotherhood, Tohr. Even if the Bastards are hiding in some little shithole under the last rock on this fucking planet, we will find them. [Petting George’s head before crossing massive arms over my chest, brows creasing as I mull over what we had on the table… and more] Has there been any news on Vishous's whereabouts? [A few hours ago, V had reported that he was due at the Clinic for the new techno-wiz-crap for the final stages of the new wing on site. It was hard to argue with the crack head it came to his gadgets. The brother knew his shit, dead to rights and after all, he did say it would only take him an hour, two tops. That had been a little over 3 hours ago. The call from Havers came around an hour and a half after the brother was due at the Clinic. The doctor anxiously explaining that V had been a no show for the install,  his worry more for the “minor glitch” in the project that would inevitably delay opening night for the new wing. In the most respectful of ways, I told him to fuck off. The disappearance of a brother was my main concern, especially when it came to the brains of the Brotherhood. Vishous wasn’t one to go on walkabout, not anymore… ever since his new roommate and, most importantly, shellan and young, he always made sure someone knew where he was. Just in case. Tohr’s silence fell heavily on my shoulders, we didn’t need this shit. Not now. Not ever.  The chirp of his phone successfully broke any other thoughts I had on the matter. I looked up at him expectantly, but he said nothing, impatience morphing into barely contained anger. Lately, bad news came barreling in without a warning and, ever since ascending the throne, I’d come to expect worst case scenarios. The phone clipped shut.] Well…? What is it? [Sensing the hesitation in my brother in arms, I grew increasingly annoyed until I heard Tohr suck in a breath. “Cop found the Escalade” He paused “Rhage and Z materialized on site… it was empty.” I cursed under my breath, dread settling over the room in a choking fog as we considered the possibilities. Two sets enemies with much the same motivation to take the brother.] Fucking fantastic, tell those two to go CSI on that thing. Every. Fucking. Inch. I want Vishous back, ASAFP. [As I spoke, the male took out his phone and made the call. There was nothing. No bullets, no blood.. nothing left in the SUV to go on at all to locate Vishous. Stroking George’s fur in a feeble attempt at staying calm, I felt the shooting pain burn through my temples as a brand new head-splitting headache reared its ugly head. Whoever had taken our brother would pay in blood. Sweeping the pile of requests and letters from the Glymera to be answered to the floor, I balled a fist and slammed it impotently on the desk blotter. Our brother’s disappearance just bumped to priority number one… right after I inform Jodi that her hellren was missing. Shit. The worst was yet to come.]

No comments:

Post a Comment