Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Pound of Flesh



Jodi
*A son? Our son? The Primale? I shook my head in disbelief at your words at first, my relief that you weren’t being taken away… that you wouldn’t be forced to bed the dozens of waiting Chosen dissolving into dread at our young’s apparently pre-ordained fate.* Vishous, she can’t. He’s… he’s just a baby. He’s not even here yet! *shrieking the words as if somehow they could negate what was to happen to our child, my hands fall to protectively cradle my swollen belly trying to shield the life within from the life waiting for him when he arrived* We can’t just let her take him, V. We can’t… We can’t let him be born to her stud farm.*searching your eyes, my voice lowers, the hopelessness of it all hitting like a Mack truck* There has to be something we can do.

Vishous
 -after getting back from the meeting with the bitch of a mahmen I had to shake myself awake and say fuck it to the pain that had been inflicted by my own blood. Nothing ran colder than the words she had uttered in her booming voice, nothing could compare to the ache that the glowing bitch had seeded in my chest. The plans that had nothing to do with me. I would have preferred that, I could be a hardass and deal with that... But my son? My family was now in jeopardy and it seemed like I was helpless. Fuck. That. I turned to the female that held my heart in her small hands with an intense look, diamond eyes blazing with icy determination- I will think of something, leelan, we will NOT lose our son -I move closer to cup your face to make sure you see how serious I am- there is nothing I can't solve -or so I was telling myself, I had to believe it-

Jodi
*nods slowly, reluctantly meeting your eyes, mind reeling from the revelation, wanting to believe but, Christ… The Scribe Virgin? How do you tell a god no?* V, I... *my voice drops taking my heart with it, unconvinced and afraid to think on the future* How?

Vishous
-my mind was going a million miles an hour trying to decide what course of action would be the best for what I was thinking about and really... it was the only thing I analyzed from whichever way possible that could have a good outcome- Leelan, trust me, even though she is the creator of our race she cannot just do what she wants when the cost is so high -I pull you into my arms for a tight embrace, my voice lowers into a whisper almost as if trying to convince you as much of myself- balance, leelan, it's all about the balance

Jodi
*curls into your arms, trying to take comfort in your words* But the cost isn't high to her. Nallum, she wants our young. She wants the bloodline. Once again she's trying to force herself into the mix. The grandchild of the Virgin as the Primale...There's nowhere we can go is there? Nowhere to run. *takes a shaky breath, trying to evaluate the possibilities* Balance... What could we offer that could possibly convince her to let us keep him? Vishous, I can't...if I lose our young... *I left the rest unspoken, the agony reflected in chocolate eyes, without our young...I couldn't even make myself acknowledge the thought*

Vishous
-there was truth in that statement that I just couldn't deny but there was no way I was going to give up that easy. I wasn't given myself to the job and a son of mine would certainly not get stuck in the web of lies woven by my mahmen, even the word gave me the creeps- She can't, leelan -looking down at you to meet your gaze that was so full of sorrow, your eyes reflected what I felt inside but didn't show on the outside, I was the male and I will be the one that was strong enough for the both of us- the SV can't just take him away, the prospect of allowing her creation free will has to prevail

Jodi
*tucks my head under your goateed chin, fingers clenching fistfuls of your shirt, fear and disbelief dissolving to anger and desperation, my words a hushed stream of frantic nothings that grew louder as panic closed an icy fist around my heart* ...maybe we can reason with her, maybe we can bargain, V... I'll give her anything but she's not taking him, he's MINE!

Vishous
-I look down at you and my heart flutters at just how much determined my shellan could be, this is the strong willed female I mated, who I gave myself to and who I would die for. Somewhere in the back of my mind I could actually hear the dark side laugh about the way I was holding on to unstable ground. I tilt your head up to look at me and my eyes shone with the same kind of determination- We will, leelan, there is nothing that will keep us away from our son. He will not share the destiny that she has set -brushing my lips over yours- I'm sure the answer is within arm’s reach, we just have to grab it

Jodi
*My shoulders sagged under the weight of my helplessness, lifting wounded eyes to yours, my brows drawing with worry seeing the smudged shadows dulling brilliant diamonds. If nothing else, I’d tend to my hellren’s needs. The dark circles and the hollowing of your stubbled cheeks telling me what you would never admit to.* Vishous, you need to feed. We’ll think of something together but first we take care of you. *Swallows back the pang of anger at not being able to give you my vein, jaw already clenching at the idea of my male at another’s throat though it had been a necessary evil from the beginning, even more so as my appetite had grown with the passing months. Funny thing about murderous jealousy…at least it was distracting.*


Vishous
-heaving a sigh, not able to hide the deterioration of my body from the amount of blood-loss I'd endured, giving but never taking, the idea of feeding from anyone but Jodi making me wince inwardly. Honestly, as long as I could hold it I would not be one to give into my weaknesses. I nodded reluctantly- I guess we have to -I stopped to think about the last meeting with the SV and if she even would allow me to make the request, let alone allow the Chosen to come to my aid. Damn perks of being her young, isn't it?- Let's just hope that my request passes -I bow my head to make the ethereal connection to ask for the services I had really come to hate-

Jodi
*taking deep breaths to calm my churning stomach, my mind running the gamut from desolation to delusion and back again, I absently reach out to take your hand and tighten my hold around leather-clad fingers, chewing my lip raw while I wait with resigned acceptance for the Chosen who would serve my male, not wanting her anywhere near you but finding myself praying that the Scribe Virgin would not be so cold as to let her son starve, adding insult to the injury of once more callously manipulating his life to her own end. I fidget nervously, leaning my head against your shoulder, suddenly wary as the young I carried began to move, raining blows against my ribcage* “The young recognizes its own blood. Pity my son will not, is it not female?” *I let out a shout of surprise, squeezing your hand in a death grip and pivoting toward the voice*

Vishous
-my head snaps to the voice drifting through the air and sent shivers down my spine, a growl fell from my lips as I positioned myself between the mahmen of my young and the mahmen of the race, too many encounters with the powerful bitch could have you on edge. My diamond eyes narrowed into thin slits that barely shone with their eerie glow as I zone in on the small figure- I have need of a Chosen, I doubt this meeting qualifies as that

Jodi
*the words leave my lips before I could stop them, my shock at seeing her here…in our home, tearing the carefully held lid I had on my temper, trying to push my male aside, the hysterical edge to my voice piercing the air* You can’t have him! I don’t give a damn who you are, he’s our child! Ours! Haven’t you done enough?

Vishous
-Just like I could tell when Wrath was amused or glaring at me under those wraparounds I could almost taste the amusement the small figure held on a tight leash, I'm sure her smile would've been big if we could actually see it. I still held on to my very paranoid and pregnant shellan, trying to contain her behind the wall of muscle that was my body. She could do whatever she wanted with me, with you, that's a whole other thing. My eyes didn't stray from the small figure- I see no reason for another meeting after the last one we had

Jodi
*still fighting against your hold, barely contained fury rolling off of you as I glared around a thick bicep to stare daggers at her hooded form, every nerve in me screaming as I froze when she spoke again* “Your female is certainly human though I find her temperament at times leads me to question that.” *she floated closer, her robes not moving as she closed the distance silently* “The young’s destiny is at hand. A price paid for a favor granted. This is my decree.” He's a child not a chess piece! He's your grandchild for Christ’s sake! *my eyes flared wide at her indifference* You keep saying that Vishous is your son but you sure as hell don’t act like a mother!

Vishous
-growls as the same anger rolling off you was rolling off me, all the aggression in the room was centered and went dagger first into the floating small figure, my fangs dimpled my bottom lip as I held on to the last of my control, more than ready to attempt a second attack on the Scribe Virgin even if it fucking killed me- I don't care what price I have to pay just as long as my young has a fighting chance for a future -trying to control my breathing in the situation for nothing would result if I lost control and gave her the opening she might want for a chance to get closer to my shellan. I would face the blasting force of the sun itself if it meant that I could actually save my family from her twisted ideals-

Jodi
*in the span of a heartbeat, the light emanating from beneath her hood flared and dimmed, a pair of ghostly hands raised to push back the ebony hood to reveal the unmistakable pale of diamond eyes, turning to level me with her icy gaze* “Despite what you believe of me, female I grieved for what my son suffered at the hands of the Bloodletter.” But, you didn’t stop it. Please… I’m begging… stop this. *she stilled for a moment and the light spilling from beneath her robe brightened as she pulled the hood back into place and turned back to you, her voice echoing through the room* “Perhaps I need not repeat the errors of my last creation. You say you will pay any price…very well. But, hear this now, one of your young will assume the care of the Chosen. I shall grant him the favor of making it his choosing but it is not without sacrifice.”

Vishous
-and as we were graced with the small show of her delicate features something ran cold in my veins, I knew from personal experience that this "price" no matter what it was, it was going to be high and the consequences that rippled outward would be severe. I could the punishment she handed me just to give my young a fighting chance but, would she really let him decide upon a fate that was so important to her devoted Chosen? Did I really have any other option? I gritted my teeth as I straightened to my full height and bowing my head in a respectful manner, my voice sounded strained even to my ears but what else was there?- I will take whatever punishment you see fit, you will not take my son's will or destiny in your hands.

Jodi
“And you, female? You would accept the cost of releasing your young from his destiny?” *I nodded like my head was on a spring, heart hammering in my chest, clinging to the tiny hope that had sparked to life* Please…just let us keep our baby. “So be it. You will stand before me, Jodi, shellan to Vishous.” *my feet moved of their own accord, stepping from behind your giant body to go to her, terror creeping into my veins but urged on by the life in my womb. The sleeve of her robe billowed as she lifted a hand to span my stomach, jerking at the crackle in the air that surrounded us* “Your hellren believes his gift a curse for he sees not its value. My price is this…the young you give him now and those to come will carry this power and bear the burden of their father’s curse.” *hearing a growl from behind me, I turned and cast a pleading look at you, looking back at the tiny figure of the Virgin and nodding my consent*

Vishous
-it all seemed to slow down, my worst nightmare had nothing on what was happening before me and I was powerless to what the bitch of a mom was going to do to my future young. It all starts right here and now. A loud growl fell from my lips as I crouched ready to slam the figure right into the wall and fucking rip her to shreds with my fangs alone... that is, until my eyes held yours for a split of a second. You were willing to do this just so the young had a chance to have some sort of life, even if it was to carry the burden of this curse throughout their lives... I had nothing else to do but straighten up and snarl- You bitch

Jodi
*dropping her hand from my stomach at the snarled words, my eyes locked on the glowing handprint left behind, watching it fade into the fibers of my shirt as she moved to face you*  “Once again I find myself showing favor to you, warrior. Let us not forget this. However since you insist you are not of my body, your continuing insubordination will not go unaddressed.  Think you that I don’t know every inch of the young I birthed? How wrong you are, Vishous, son of the Bloodletter. I believe you’ll find your punishment to be very…befitting of your tastes.” *With that I watched as you were lifted into the air, arms outstretched and held in place, a growl of rage resonating through the pit as the first strike came, splitting the fabric of your shirt, the flap of material falling to reveal the bloody ribbon beneath the scarred letters of my name that spanned your shoulders* Vishous, no! *my anguished cry was cut by another thunderclap of energy that slashed across your back, then another, invisible lashes shredding through your shirt and painting deep crimson lines of agony over the tensed muscle of your back, blood running in thick rivulets to hit the marbled floor with a sickening splash*

Vishous
-the bitch dared say she knew me, the fucking nerve, my jaw slacked open to tell her to fuck off and curse her in any way I could... but I could only watch in outrage as my body stopped being my own, my muscles froze in place and suddenly I was in the air, exposed and pulling against the unseen chains that held me in place. I started snarling and growling as much as I could and then I felt the invisible lashes shredding my skin. The worst part… I was battling between the monster that craved the pain and the pissed off male that hated to lose control in such a way... but there was more to it than this, I was paying a high price and I had not fed in a while... this couldn’t end well-

Jodi
*it went on forever, time stretching out to turn seconds into hours as the blows rained on my male’s back until the golden skin was lost to a sheet of glistening red…and as quickly as the torture had begun, it ended, my cheeks wet with horrified tears as you were released, dropping you unceremoniously to the floor. My chest burning with ragged sobs, I launched myself across the room to your side and hit my knees, swallowing back the bile that rose up as I looked over the savaged flesh of your back, I turned toward the Virgin, my words steeped in venom as I spat at her* You are no one’s mother. You’ve collected, now get the fuck out of here. *her voice was unaffected, not even acknowledging that I’d spoken as a chosen appeared beside her, bowing low, a riot of flame-colored waves spilling around her graceful form* “Astarte, you will serve this warrior.” *and just like that, she was gone. Afraid to touch anywhere else and fighting the urge to pull you into my arms, I brushed gentle kisses over your face* I’m going to get your brothers, nallum. Oh, god, I’m so sorry…* I scrambled to my feet, barking at the Chosen as I flew past* Stay with him! *rounding the corner on a dead run, I bolted down the hall to Butch’s room, hoping like hell he was still home*

Vishous
-the force that held me outstretched in thin air suddenly had me crashing down, hitting the floor like a bundle of discarded clothes on an empty space. The tang of copper hit my nostrils as the scent of my blood filled the room. My breathing coming in ragged gasps as I try to assess the damage that had been done to me, the masochist in me lived for moments such as these where my body was a fucking amusement park to the one who gave me the pain I sometimes craved, the other part of me growled and tried to get up just so I could beat the shit out of the Scribe Virgin... Like that could fucking work, I inwardly rolled my eyes and cursed at my stupidity while I pushed myself off the floor as much as I could, slowly losing focus and... damn, I was going to lose control of my body the weaker I got. The blood loss and not feeding was really taking its toll. Barely, I registered someone approaching me, the scent was exquisite and my entire body had grown ready as if wanting whatever called to me at the moment. My head slowly lifts to follow the scent with my nose, as if that could lead me to that one that had what I needed-

Jodi
*rushing to the bathroom to gather whatever I could find to stop the bleeding, arms piled high with thick towels, shouting for the doggen over my shoulder to bring pitchers of water as I cross the threshold and stop in my tracks, the gathered towels dropping to the floor in a heap of Egyptian cotton, mouth gaping at the sight before me* Vishous?

Vishous
-the moment those delicate arms fell outstretched to try and hold my warrior body "Sire?" whatever she said next was lost as my eyes trained on the arm that was just in front of me, the vein pulsed and called to me. That was it for the male that was trying to logically assess the situation, the animal in my nature was unleashed and I leaned in to run my nose over her inner wrist. The bouquet of her blood hit me at once and I growled loud. I was up the next second and had that slender body pressed up against me, my body reacting to the closeness of the female body that was about to feed me. I growled and she stiffened, I couldn't... or wouldn't stop now, a hiss resonated through the air before I struck. I moaned when the taste of her blood flowed freely down my throat, my body taking the nourishment I needed while I held the Chosen by her throat and an arm wrapped around her waist to keep her pressed against me. Drinking heavily... I was lost to the sensation of having the nourishment I hadn't had in a while. Taking it all in. Then... the voice... I knew that voice, even as I growled and reacted to a possible threat to us, my diamond eyes barely focusing on the figure that stood a few feet away from me-

Jodi
Vishous! *my stomach leapt into my chest at the scene before me, the looming form of my male coiled around the Chosen, his fangs lodged deep in her vein, a thick thigh wedged between her legs, looking up to meet the eyes of a very smug female, my agony at the torment my hellren had endured melting to blind rage*

Vishous
-I started blinking as the voice broke through the bloodlust and the lust that came with the feedings. My diamond eyes beginning to clear as I focused on the female that now was the queen of my dreams, the land of the living and the dead was set at her feet and I was so fucking lucky... then... I'm feeding... who the fuck am I feeding from? My brain finally started to register what I was doing, finally being rational, but my body was set on a whole other train and refused to leave the station. I growled in frustration as I pulled back, I lapped over the skin and then it hit me- Oh shit -my eyes flickered between the wound and the feeble Chosen in my arms and my shellan, over and over again, confused for a moment before I realized I had just given myself over to the predator in me. Slowly I tried to set the Chosen down somewhere so I can go to you- I'm.. fuck.. I'm sorry, leelan. I didn't... it wasn't…

Jodi
What was it, exactly? You know what? Never mind. Since you’re feeling better, I’ll leave you to it. *blinking back fresh tears and tamping down the desire to rip the Chosen apart, I raised my chin, pride winning out over heartbreak as I turned and stormed from the room, my flight fueled by bitter jealousy and gut-wrenching hurt*

Vishous
-my eyes widen at the anger that dripped from every word, the hurt was clear in the way you handled yourself and me. The Chosen stumbled in my arms and I was momentarily distracted, cursing under my breath I took the female and helped her sit down on the first chair I could find- I'll be right back, true -I scarcely gave her a second glance as I rushed out of the room to follow after you, barely catching sight of your back as you disappeared out of the room- Leelan... please

Jodi
*Asshole! Miserable son of a… How could he?!...Blinded by tears, a hand pressed to my swollen belly as I ran down the hall and through the living room to push open the door leading outside. Squinting against the golden glow of the late afternoon sun, I hurried to my truck and maneuvered myself into the driver’s seat, slamming the door and turning the ignition. The engine roared to life and I threw it into gear, peeling out of the drive, tires screeching as I turned onto the winding road leading away from the compound.*

Vishous
-my body was still weak from what had happened here, it was compensating for the lashes on my back. I could almost feel the waves of despair that filled the air as you walked away from me. I didn't even register that the shutters were up and it was... too late- Leelan, PLEASE... STOP -I picked up my pace until the door flew open and I hissed and shrank back from the glaring light that filtered in, my body telling me to stop but I just wanted to get to you. I heard the screeching of the wheels on the road and I sagged to the floor, kneeling down I closed my eyes... I’d fucked this up.. again-

Jodi
*My mind spinning from all that had transpired in such a short time, the weight of the world lifted from my shoulders at the declaration that our son would be spared a life of service as father to the Chosen’s offspring only to be smacked in the face with my male’s biological response to a desperately needed feeding. That’s all it was. Biology. Yeah… biology my ass. As if sensing my anguish, the life inside me kicked furiously, tiny limbs struggling against their confines in a flurry of angry jabs, my voice cracking on a tearful coo to soothe my young as my fingers glided over the taut skin* Shhh…baby.  It’s okay. Momma’s just sad but, we’re okay… *only we weren’t…we were so far from okay it wasn't even in the same zip code and the young wasn’t fooled a damned bit, never relenting its frantic assault on my ribcage. I flinched as a jolt of pain shot through me, lungs screaming for air as hysterical weeping wracks my body. Scenes of my hellren at the Chosen’s throat playing back in Technicolor… the gleam in her azure eyes when she turned to see me rendered me oblivious to my surroundings as sprawling suburbs gave way to the concrete and steel labyrinth of downtown Caldwell. Rational thoughts were squashed by heartbreak and misfiring hormones as I gasped out a sob… Of course he wanted her, you twit. Look at youand you nearly got him skinned alive to save your son. Body shaking with silent tears, I glanced down and stroked over my belly, the smooth skin contracting under my fingertips. A sound like a gunshot snapped my head up, gripping the steering wheel as the truck swerves, narrowly missing a street light before I regain control, pumping the breaks as it skids to a halt. My heart slamming in my chest, I took a shaky breath and released my death grip on the steering wheel. Opening the door and sliding out of the cab, I wipe my cheeks and look down at the shredded remains of the front tire. Blowout. Fucking perfect. Raking my fingers through my hair, I turned toward an anxious voice calling from behind me. “Hey, lady? Are you okay?” Giving the man a bitter smile, I nodded half-heartedly, a sinister inner voice rattling off with a sarcastic snarl…Sure am. Just caught my vampire husband drinking from someone else, nearly dry-humping her through the fucking couch while I’m blown up with our half-breed baby and I almost killed us both trying to get the fuck out of dodge… Yeah, I’ll save that one* Just the kind of day I’m having, hon. You know what they say… if it’s got tires or testicles, it’s going to give you grief. *Taking my phone out of my pocket, I start pressing the numbers for AAA…fuck if I was calling Vishous to come and rescue me. Giving my location to the nasally woman at the other end of the line and ending the call, I sigh and turn to kick the bent rim, my Nike connecting with a dull clang.  My eyes widen on a cry as a searing pain rips through me, my hand flying to protect my stomach as I double over, looking down at the gathering pool of maroon beneath me* No… oh, fuck no… *“Lady? LADY?!” Strange arms catch me as my knees buckle sending me on an express ride to the sidewalk, my phone clattering to the concrete landing in the crimson puddle between his shabby work boots. One arm still shielding the tensed dome of my stomach, I reached desperately for the phone as another spearing pain threatens to cleave me in two, terrified eyes fixed on the time display… still over an hour until sundown…Curling onto my side, knees drawn up to against the crippling agony radiating through me, I choked out a strangled plea, the life of my young suddenly dependent on the kindness of a stranger* Vishous… oh, God please…my phone…call Vishous…

No comments:

Post a Comment