Monday, March 7, 2011

A River in Egypt


Jodi
*I pushed at the drink on the bar, my stomach suddenly unable to tolerate the whiskey that had become standard fare since my... since Vishous had left, doing my damnedest to ignore the twinkling moss green eyes that were the tell-tale sign of a well fucked Suzanne as she relayed her night with her "lheage". God, my skin was crawling, with every detail she spat, my heart getting smaller and smaller until I thought it might disappear altogether* So.. he's well then? *Of course he's well, you twit. He's right back in the saddle. Her saddle. Fuck. Me. Still, I listened to the auditory car wreck, every minute of it stored away to torment myself with later. Fuck... Tohr. I blew out a breath. This was wrong. All wrong. But I smiled and nodded as a friend would, pretending I wasn't cracking in two until she spotted another in the crowd to relay her adventures to. Not before proudly lifting her too short skirt to show me the wounds he'd left on her thighs. My jaw clenched so tightly that it ached as I nodded goodbye and left the club, taking a deep breath of the night air before starting to walk deeper into downtown Caldwell*

Vishous:
- A whole fucking day had passed and I still felt like I had done nothing to ease my mind. The session the day before served to rub it in my nose that I was not only not over the female with the dark chocolate eyes but I had the balls... ball.. to call her mine at a moment of weakness. Nothing had changed, just because I had an epiphany it did not give me the right in any way or form to say that the female was mine to take. That she was in my mind 24/7 was a whole other level that even if I had admitted it to myself, the pain and the torture would die with me. I had self imposed days off so I could drown myself in Goose. Which I had done for the past, a glance at the clock later, umm 20 hours. Buzz had come and gone and yet I kept at it. Dead diamond eyes trained on a dark spot of the floor done years ago by my glowing hand-

Jodi:
*I walked without purpose, without direction...no intent but to exhaust myself until I lacked the energy to even think of my...of him. God damn it, Jodi, stop doing that! I ground my teeth at what I'd nearly done for the 10th time in as many minutes. He's not yours! If anyone's he's hers. The thought made me sick, forcing a hand to my mouth to stop the retch building in my throat, taking a breath and getting nothing but a nosefull of cheap Chinese and cheaper cologne as I passed the row of take-outs and fuck me's that lined Trade Street, finally stopping to gather my head only to find that my feet had once more brought me to the Commodore as they had been doing so often lately. Fucking traitors. But, I hadn't gone in. I hadn't heard from Vishous since he left and I hadn't tried to reach him. That was ending now. Steeling my resolve, I passed through the revolving doors and through the lobby, pressing the button for the elevator and pressing the button for the penthouse, forcing myself inside before I talked myself out of it. I needed to know that he really was alright. That's all this was. Uh huh.  And I've got some oceanfront property in Arizona to sell too. Fuck fuck fuck. I watched the numbers on the display rise, all but jumping out of the car when it reached its destination. You're going to see for yourself that he doesn't give a damn about you, Jodi. You're going to stop waiting and wishing and grow the fuck up. This is Vishous we're talking about. Not your Prince Charming. Mentally kicking myself, I hurried down the hall, lifting a shaking hand to knock on the door*

Vishous:
- The knock on the door was a surprise and yet I lacked the energy to actually even lift my head. I wasn't expecting company and if Wrath wanted to be effective about the visits and most likely would send either Rhage, who would just pop up, or Butch... umm he could be the one at the door... Ah fuck that shit. With a groan I get out of the couch and shuffled my way to the door, stumbled in my feet still a little more than buzzed with a bottle of Goose in my hand. I blinked and will the door open when I was close enough- What? - I took a swing of the vodka that burned down my throat-

Jodi:
*I flinched at his tone* My... *lheage? No, he wasn't that. Not now* Vishous, it's Jodi. *I willed my voice to stop its tremor as I answered through the door, suddenly unsure if he even knew my name* I mean..pet.  It's pet.

Vishous:
- Her voice drifted through the entire room and I blinked. I had  been drinking myself to the point of hallucinations, slowly I moved to be in the way of the doorway. It was opened and there she stood... my lips parted as if the beauty of her had taken any rational thought and stolen my breath. In a second I composed myself and looked right into her eyes- Of course, my favorite pet. What can I do you for? -hands dangling to either side of my body-

Jodi:
I just... I thought you were gone for good. *I frowned, studying your face. Diamond eyes rimmed red, your booming voice was...slurred? But it still took nothing away from the male that dominated my dreams every night as I slept in another's bed. You were still magnificent, raw power shackled in buttery leather. The male of the vivid and graphic images dancing behind my eyelids with such clarity that I often wondered if you'd done it intentionally* I...I talked to Suzanna. Can I come in?

Vishous:
- I almost winced at the mention of the female that had been the tool for release. A means to an end. I could not let this cloud us in any way, I had to keep you out of the loop of the new obsession I had. Dead diamond eyes turned away from you after I nodded- Sure - took another healthy shot of Goose-

Jodi:
*I cautiously stepped inside and closed the door behind me with a soft click and fell in step behind you, sitting down on the rarely-used sofa and taking your hand as if I had every right to do it, tugging you gently onto the cushion next to me, mind working frantically over what I was going to say* I guess, I just wanted to say I miss you. I mean.. you're missed. *a blush colored my cheeks at the slip, quickly averting my eyes*

Vishous:
- I looked down at you with surprise, no way could that have been what you meant. Nope. Dare to dream fucker. I plopped down next to you on the couch staring straight ahead again- Yeah, I bet -the warmth of your hand enveloped mine and I couldn't make myself take that away from you. Let this moment stand alone no words just this-

Jodi:
*I took a relieved breath when you didn't pull away, the mass of your body bouncing me on the sofa as you sank down beside me* I thought maybe you'd forgotten about me... us. *smooth, Jodi, really fucking smooth. Why not just ask him?*

Vishous:
- I mumbled "I can't forget about you... I've tried" then I shake my head and reach for one of my blunts, leaving the bottle aside, and light it up- Not something I can do, true? Just need the space

Jodi:
*I frowned at the muttered words, shaking my head. No way I heard that. Tilting my head, I squinted in the dim light trying to focus on your face* Vishous? Do you want me to leave?

Vishous:
- Well wasn't that the million dollar question, did I really want her to leave? No, was it the right thing to do? Absolutely. I let the strong taste of the dark spices of Turkish tobacco fill my senses before I answer- It is up to you, female. Wouldn't want us to have any problems with anyone -meaning Tohr... smooth, wow, Vishous. New personal record-

Jodi:
*I exhaled loudly and shook my head, the rich smell of good tobacco making my head swim... or was it being so close to you? No, it was the Turkish. Definitely.* No, I don't want to go. *my voice dropped, the words falling out before I realize I'd spoken* I think I feel you watching me sometimes.

Vishous:
- I visibly winced at that and I turned to the side to look at you, she spoke like a female that could feel the blood connection even in the distance, the blunt still held between my lips- What makes you say that?

Jodi:
*I shrugged at that. I had no reason to think you'd been there but something in me said otherwise* Have you been? Watching me, I mean? *I edged closer, the heat of your body warming me through your leathers as I slipped my jacket off my shoulders and hung it over the arm of the couch*

Vishous:
- I watched you closely, as if mentally doing the undressing, sneaking a caress over your smooth skin and... we stop right there. So blood, yeah, lashing out... darkness.. Turkish tobacco. This time when I answered the question I once again turned to look away- Would it really make any difference if I were? - not really an answer but not exactly a denial-

Jodi:
It would to me. *my eyes followed the line of your jaw as you turned away, hoping to force a smile if I could* I'd like to know if I have a guardian angel, Vishous. Do I? *my thumb stroked over your hand, counting my heartbeats until you answered*

Vishous:
- There was no warmth what so ever when she stroked my hand in that tender way of hers, nope, my heart did not do... I will not admit that even to myself. I took another hit of the tobacco- I wouldn't call myself a guardian angel, feel me? - not that there was any pride in that shit. Previous encounters have showed me otherwise.... but I nodded as I exhaled- I have been out there watching over you sometimes - every night-

Jodi:
*I couldn't help but smile at that and the idea that I might be more to you than a pet made me bold, brow creasing as the details of Suzanna's tarnished little fairytale pressed to the forefront, needing to know that I was still something to you...and more than she was. To know for sure whether I was chasing a dream* So I'm still your favorite then?

Vishous:
- My brow knitted at the thought that you somehow figured you where not my favorite pet. Even if I had just admitted once to myself I still felt as if you were mine, somehow some way and being my favorite pet was how I could stake that kind of claim even if wasn't mine to take- You've never stopped being my favorite pet... situation just... changed

Jodi:
I know it did, Vishous. Doesn’t mean we can't talk, does it? *I looked around the room, my gaze falling on the rack... the rack that I knew damned well had recently been used. When had anyone ever come here to just talk? Forcing myself to be chipper though I was dying at the thought of your hands on another* You just made my night, warrior. *I pasted on a smile, getting to my feet* I should get back to Tohr. *I took the chance and took a step toward you, brushing my knuckles over a stubbled cheek and leaning down to press a gentle kiss to your jaw* Don't be a stranger, okay?

Vishous:
- On impulse I grab you by the back of your neck and hold your face close to me not allowing any space more than a few inches. I felt the brush of your breath over my lips and my tongue darts out to run over my bottom lip. I blinked and took that moment to brush a kiss over your forehead then fall back against the couch, my eyes anywhere but meeting yours- I'll try not to, pet -I rubbed my face and took a deep breath -

Jodi:
*gasping a little as your palm closes over my nape and falls away, heart hammering  I straighten myself and clear my throat, already stepping back toward the door and opening it to cross out into the corridor* Take care of yourself, Vishous. I... *love you, my mind finished but I couldn't form the words* I hope to see you soon. *I hugged my arms to my chest, not trusting myself to go back into the penthouse after my jacket for fear of running right into your arms, a lone tear slipping down my cheek as I hit the elevator bay and disappear into the waiting car*

Vishous:
- A shudder runs through my body, fuck your words had a sort of intimate tone I was dangerously close to craving 24/7. I couldn't watch you go, I would try to get you to come back or who the fuck knows. I took a deep breath... big mistake, her scent thick in the air, not even the smell of the tobacco could opaque that sweet perfume that was just her. I turned to the side and stared at the jacket for the longest time before I reached to run a hand over it- I've got a thing for you, female - I heaved a sigh, second time I admitted that and the first time I’d said it out loud, shitkickers dragging my legs down as I bolted the door and headed back to the sofa to finish off my bottle-

No comments:

Post a Comment